2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Skimmer for nano reef  (Read 2811 times)

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
Skimmer for nano reef
« on: January 04, 2012, 16:11:03 »
Hey all... wondering what skimmer people think will work best for what I am trying to do.  The main tank will be around 10-13 gal and I am using a 20 gal sump that will prob hold around 15 gal of water I am guessing.

What would be a good skimmer for this?
"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
Re: Skimmer for nano reef
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 16:58:28 »
Hey all... wondering what skimmer people think will work best for what I am trying to do.  The main tank will be around 10-13 gal and I am using a 20 gal sump that will prob hold around 15 gal of water I am guessing.

What would be a good skimmer for this?

IMHO, you can't over skim! As long as you have room for it in your sump/desk area it doesn't have to be a nano skimmer.

I have used this skimmer before and its a great skimmer (again, provided you have the room)

http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/TURBOFLOTOR.html
http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/TURBO-OR2700.html

Premium aquatics have a great clearance sale on the skimmer right now!

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 20:14:10 »
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 21:15:07 »
this one should be just right for you
http://glassbox-design.com/2010/mrc-industrial-skimmer-is-2460-w/

Drooooooool!

I have a Skimmer like those turbofloator in my closet. Has the two outlets just like those. Can't remember what it is though. Some one gave it to me cause it didn't work and I found it was just missing the venturi valve twist insert. So I put one of those in. Nit sure what pump I need to run the thing. So I have just never considered using that pump. I guess i should just find a pump that makes that be I have work and of with that if i can!

Edit:

I checked that other skimer that I have and it is a Red Sea Berlin.  So I guess I can look and see what type of pump that requires and see about using that maybe?  Thoughts on that?
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 22:06:08 »
I checked that other skimer that I have and it is a Red Sea Berlin.  So I guess I can look and see what type of pump that requires and see about using that maybe?  Thoughts on that?

slandis3 had some idea's about that particular skimmer

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 11:15:57 »
I found the booklet for the berlin classic skimmer.  It doesn't actually give the gph of the pump.  I am not sure what size pump I need to put on that thing to make it operate.  I had an extra 300 gph pump sitting around and that didn't cut it at all.  I have a feeling I will need a 500+ gph.  Anyone know for sure or have experience with this skimmer?
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 11:50:30 »
I found the booklet for the berlin classic skimmer.  It doesn't actually give the gph of the pump.  I am not sure what size pump I need to put on that thing to make it operate.  I had an extra 300 gph pump sitting around and that didn't cut it at all.  I have a feeling I will need a 500+ gph.  Anyone know for sure or have experience with this skimmer?

Sent a PM to slandis, He used to have one modded.

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 13:11:43 »
If you use the stock venturi in the skimmer then run a mag 5. I unscrewed the venturi and used a kent venturi with a mag 7 on my old one.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 13:57:47 »
If you use the stock venturi in the skimmer then run a mag 5. I unscrewed the venturi and used a kent venturi with a mag 7 on my old one.

Thank you Mike!