2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Fishy mistery  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Fishy mistery
« on: August 08, 2012, 08:40:46 »
I have a fire fish that has been missing for about 2 months. Yesterday out of the blue it pops up again. I had wrote it off as mia.

So this got me wondering. What is the longest anyone has had a fish vanish, only to show up some time later? How long was it missing & where in the heck has it been? On vacation in the keys?

Offline Neogenesis

Re: Fishy mistery
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 09:11:47 »
I had a firefish do the same thing.  It was missing for something like 4 moths.  It would only sit in the rock, on the back side mind you where it couldn't be seen, and it would only pop out enough to grab some food then back into it's hiding spot.  The only way I knew it was still alive I pulled all the rock for some reason, and there it was laying in the bottom of the container holding all the rock, luckily enough water had drained out to keep it alive until I found it.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 12:10:03 »
Firefish are extremely shy and timid fish. They need plenty of nooks and crannies to hide in, and even then it's a toss up if they will come out... Mine used to never come out as the tank sat right near a walk way and any time you walked by he was gone, and it got the point where he never came out except to grab a bite to eat and pop back in his hole... now he is used to the traffic but he still hovers right above his hole and never ventures more than a few inches from it...

I had a kliens who vanished one day in about an hour, no idea where he went still MIA to this day, though I believe he jumped out to become carpet jerky and my dog at him.

I alos had a couple peppermint shrimp that i assumed were dead as I had a sixline wrasse who shredded a few of their brethren, but upon tearing down the tank I found 2 of the 5 still alive hidding in a rock... that was about 6 months in total that I thought they were dead and never ever saw them.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 13:12:40 »
When we first got the firefish it was out & swimming with the rest of the fishes. It didn't go mia until we added more fish. Untill yesterday we had not seen even a glimpse of it. Yesterday I had a powerhead that just started running in reverse out of the blue, so I unplugged it. About an hour later it just started swimming around. Came to the top of the tank to eat lunch of my finger & everything. Today gone again.

Offline volcano

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 20:58:32 »
I once added a yellow watchman goby to my tank.  I saw it for the first day and I didn't see it again for 2 years.   I tore down the tank and found him hidden in the sand bed.  It was crazy that it could stay hidden for so long.