2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Return Pump Recommendations?  (Read 5842 times)

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
Return Pump Recommendations?
« on: May 17, 2013, 10:20:41 »
I am getting ready to upgrade in the next few months.  I have a 40 breeder with a 700 gph glass hole overflow and I am looking for a return pump.  It would be a big plus if it was quiet and not overly expensive.  Right now I am leaning towards a Mag 7.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: Return Pump Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 11:23:51 »
Mag 7 is good and reliable... If you have some vibration asorbing material below it; it is pretty quiet. If it's sitting on the glass or not enough material below it, it will make a ruckus

They are easy to service, and not very expensive...

If you want external you could check out some pan world pumps or Blue Line.... I have a blueline 40 and it is Dead quiet... But the external pumps are a little more pricey.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 16:37:58 »
 I have used mag 7's for the last 5 or 6 years. No real complaints except both of mine have worn a groove in the shaft chamber which makes it a little noisy. I probably could have done more maint also. I am considering a Quiet One Model 3000 which is very comparable in price and based on ratings I have seen has much better flow rate at the higher head levels.

Offline Sonnyred

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 18:02:09 »
Mag 7 is good and reliable... If you have some vibration asorbing material below it; it is pretty quiet. If it's sitting on the glass or not enough material below it, it will make a ruckus

They are easy to service, and not very expensive...

If you want external you could check out some pan world pumps or Blue Line.... I have a blueline 40 and it is Dead quiet... But the external pumps are a little more pricey.

+1

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 20:57:15 »
will the pump be just the return to display ? or are you going to be running flow thru various reactors ? if it is just return to display you only need 3-5 times water volume for return rate. so 120-200 gph. so mag 3 might be better suited

Offline Viggen

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 21:12:49 »
Like stated above, 5x a hour is that max turnover that's needed through a tank through a sump. 

300g tub o fish

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 22:19:38 »
Like stated above, 5x a hour is that max turnover that's needed through a tank through a sump.

It it the max? Or is it the minimum suggested?

Offline Viggen

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 22:36:08 »
2-5 times a hour is all that's needed through a sump, you can go more or less however that can cause more problems then it solves.  To fast and the filter can't clean the water properly and also increases the bubbles possibly entering the tank.

On my 475g fowlr I am in the 2-3 times a hour area with a waterblaster 5000 pump. 

2-5 through sump and get additional flow from a closed loop, power heads etc
300g tub o fish

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 10:03:02 »
Thanks for all the replies.  This will be my first tank with a sump.  My current set-up only has a GFO reactor.  I am hoping to be able to remove it with the addition of a sump.  So I hope the pump will only be for returning water to the display.

Also is there any chart I can find to determine the loss of gph do to head height on a Mag pump?

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 11:33:00 »
2-5 through sump and get additional flow from a closed loop, power heads etc

Wow! I'm way overkill! I'm running a 1000gph pump on my 75g. The only thing teed off it is my refuge. Of course with head and plumbing restrictions I'm not getting 1000gph, but it sounds like I'm probably still too high.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 11:36:46 »
Also is there any chart I can find to determine the loss of gph do to head height on a Mag pump?

Try this: http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/head-loss-calculator

Offline Viggen

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 12:28:45 »
Actual water turnover is the magic number, not what the pump can do at zero head

You should also be able to get a idea of what a mag pumps flows from the companies website or online vendors sites. 

If a pump is a 1000gph pump, might only be 700-800 after head loss then half going to fuge and half to tank... So not far off

300g tub o fish

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 18:52:16 »
Actually found a chart on the box and it shows 750gph at 48" head. I don't think I'm sending half to fuge as I have it dialed back with a ball valve.

I've been wanting to get my PO4 reactor back online so I may go ahead and run it off the main pump rather than running a MJ.

Is there any "easy" way to measure what I'm actually putting through the tank?

Offline Viggen

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 20:52:04 »
Stopwatch
Gallon or 5 gallon jug

If you are like me a calculator :)
300g tub o fish

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 08:33:06 »
So I thought it may help if I post my sump design.  I have a 20L sump for my 40 breeder.  I was thinking about having a Mag 5 in a middle chamber and T off the return so if dumps into the Fuge which will then overflow into the return chamber.

Is this design workable and flood safe?

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 11:12:19 »
That is my exact set-up. You'll want a bubble trap between the left and middle chambers. I put a ball valve on the tee into my refuge so I could slow the flow through the refuge.

I'll see if I can dig up a couple photos of my sump to post.

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 12:55:12 »
Thanks.  I would love to see some pictures.  If possible do you have the size of the middle chamber?  I am unsure of how large/small to make it.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 13:15:43 »
The larger the better, your pump can suck the water level low in that chamber, and if it is a small narrow chamber it can run dry fairly quickly with evaporation, as that will be the only place day to day evap will really affect.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 23:18:03 »
Tbred, sorry I didn't get pics posted tonight. Ended up running after work. I'll try to get some up tomorrow evening.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 23:25:09 »
Here are a couple pics dug out of my fresh start thread. I should have some older pics on my computer that show the sump a lot better.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 00:48:19 »
So I thought it may help if I post my sump design.  I have a 20L sump for my 40 breeder.  I was thinking about having a Mag 5 in a middle chamber and T off the return so if dumps into the Fuge which will then overflow into the return chamber.

Is this design workable and flood safe?

Looks good, as long as the center chamber doesn't leak and the dividers aren't to tall it should be overflow proof. You may want to put a ball valve to control flow over the the fuge section. Also cut teeth in the fuge divider to reduce chance that your macroalgae will flow into the pump section.

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 01:03:39 »
Might not be a bad idea to put a check valve in your return line.
Brent McCloskey

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 07:01:06 »
Ohioreef, thanks for the pictures.  I am going to have to make my return pump section bigger than I imagined.  This means I will have to go buy my skimmer in advance so I know its footprint.  I want to try and make the fuge as large as possible. 

How tall for a 20l would you say is too tall for dividers?  This sump I am planning is just a conversion of a sump I had bought second hand.  I just planned to move the baffles.  I will probable go out and get an acrylic piece to put teeth on for the fuge side now.

I plan to start messing with the sump this week/weekend.  I will upload some pictures on here if/when I get a chance.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 07:40:44 »
Your 40 breeder will need to be able to hold all the water in the return chamber and tall enough to support the proper water level for your skimmer. Those two items are what dictates the height of the dividers.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 08:54:00 »
Might not be a bad idea to put a check valve in your return line.

No need if he plumbs things right.