2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 180 gallon build  (Read 3881 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: 180 gallon build
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 20:34:56 »
There has been some ups and downs.  Right now I am having problems with red slime algae.  I need to pick up some phos media for my reactor and get it up and running. I didnt feel comfortabe with the cheap storage tub I was using as a sump for my skimmer (it was bulging from the water) so I was able to get a 40 gallon tub from tractor supply that works a whole lot better.  I have the skimmer in half of it with a sand bed in the other section.  I used sand from my old tank which had a sifting starfish in it and it is pretty much void of worm and star life. I think that the starfish pretty much kept them wiped out.   All of the corals and fish from the old tank have been moved and seem to be doing pretty well considering the algae bloom going on. 
Jeff 

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 20:55:11 »
I just added the last 2 bulbs tonight since I shut down the old tank.  The lighting now consists of a total of 7 t-5 bulbs which are overdriven by ice cap ballasts.  I would guess it to be about 700 watts.  I reworked the aga hood I purchased so that I was able to fit 5 of the bulbs on the hindged lid with the last 2 fixed to the bottem of the hood behind the front 5.  In my old tank I made the mistake of having the ballasts under the tank and have them repaired several times due to water leaks.  With this setup I mounted them to the wall above the sump and ran the wiring through the wall to the tank.  I am looking forwards to getting the water quality better and getting the ca reactor running and dialed in so I can add some quality sps.  It hard to resist going shopping but I know for the good of the corals and system I need to take it slow.
Jeff

Offline verper

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 21:09:44 »
It hard to resist going shopping but I know for the good of the corals and system I need to take it slow.

That's the hardest part of this hobby.  Looks good.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 23:11:26 »
It looks like I need to read up on the T-5's, 700 watts using seven bulbs that impressive.  How long will the bulbs last being overdriven?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 17:55:44 »
My bulbs are 5 footers which are normally 80 watts.  Shorter bulbs are not as high in wattage.  I have read where using ice cap ballasts you overdrive the bulbs so I am guessing they are probably putting out between 90 and 100 watts per bulb.  T-5 bulbs will last about 1 1/2 years, so I am figuring on replacing them at 1 year.  I would really like to change out maybe 3 or 4 bulbs at a time on a 6 month schedule so I dont get hit with the big costs of 7 bulbs all at once and the lighting would maybe stay more consistant.  That way I wouldnt have worn lights one day and the next have 7 new extra bright lights all at once.  I have had just 2 t-5's over my 120 for the last month or so and my frogspawn, hammer and torch have never looked better.  They are not as fond of the bright lighting in the 180 since the move.
Jeff