2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: carbon  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
carbon
« on: July 03, 2008, 19:09:03 »
what kind of carbon do you run in your sump?  What are the benefits and drawbacks of using carbon on a reef tank?

Offline aquavista99

Re: carbon
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 21:07:45 »
 I do not use carbon. I rely on weekly water changes, macro algae and a large protein skimmer to keep my water clean.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 21:16:26 »
thats what I have been doing.  I have a large amount of macro-algae, mangroves, and my protein skimmer.  Just with a newborn (June 24th) and 15 hours of excellerated courses (6 weeks courses) the tank the water changes are not as frequent as I would like to do right now.  Didnt know if carbon would be beneficial for a short amount of time until school lets me loose for a few weeks. 

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 08:08:01 »
I use Black Diamond Activated Carbon. I use it at a rate of 4-6oz. per 50 gallons of Aquarium water and replace it about every 2 weeks. It has been my recent determination that smaller portions of activated carbon replaced regularly is a better method than larger amounts of carbon replaced less frequently. Please note that the needed amount of activated carbon & the frequency it is exchanged is largely dependent on the the aquarium. Aquariums with heavy loads, be it fish or corals, typically will need larger amounts of activated carbon exchanged more frequently than aquariums with lower loads. I would also like to note that it is a misconception that activated carbon solves or prevents water quality issues.

I realize that there are differing opinions about the use of activated carbon and I am aware that it can remove some trace elements but I believe that the benefits out weigh the negative. Activated carbon can give an aquarium crystal clear water clarity. This is desirable from a aesthetic point of view certainly but having clear water has additional benefits. The first that comes to mind is that your lighting systems efficiency will be improved if your water is crystal clear. Compare this to using slightly dirty lids on your aquarium versus clean lids or no lids at all. In other words, if your water is  slightly "dingy" your light penetration to your corals is decreased. For those using UV sterilization, the same applies, your UV light will be more affective at killing water borne organisms if the water is clearer. If a person is using ozone, a small amount of carbon at the exhaust of the reactor / protien skimmer will remove any residual ozone from the water - this is very important!

Other benefits are the removal or organics associated with fish and corals as well as the removal of Noxious compounds released from the use of caulerpa in different types of vegative / algae filters.

Yes I agree that some beneficial trace elements are removed by Activated Carbon and I know that some argue that they are spending money on supplements only to have the activated carbon remove them. However, water changes and protein skimming both remove desirable compounds and elements from aquarium water and not many people argue their benefits. Most only focus on the benefits of protein skimming and water changes because their benefits majorly out weigh their negatives and I agree. It is my opinion that activate carbon falls into a similar catagory, it's benifits far out weigh it's negatives.

Joel

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 18:51:33 »
Nice write-up Joel.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 23:02:28 »
I do not use carbon. I rely on weekly water changes, macro algae and a large protein skimmer to keep my water clean.

Since this post, I upgraded to a larger tank (400g + SPS system) and I am now running activated carbon 24/7 with very positive results. I attached some very informative links below about using activated carbon as well. I am currently using Two Little Fishes HydroCarbon (granular activated carbon) which will not leach phosphates back into your tank.

Does a Reef Tank Need Carbon?

http://joejaworski.wordpress.com/2008/05/09/does-a-reef-tank-need-carbon/

An Overview of Activated Carbon in the Marine Tank

http://www.hallman.org/filter/gac.html

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 11:56:21 »
This is some nice info.  I have also read that some folks will use more activated carbon in lieu of a protein skimmer, usually when saving money for a good skimmer (might end up being my case).  Has anyone else read/heard this, or tried it out?

Offline atreis

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 12:00:54 »
I've never heard of using it in lieu of a protein skimmer - I could be wrong but it doesn't seem like a good substitute for that really.

But then, I use neither one.  :)