2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: What is the salt of choice?  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
What is the salt of choice?
« on: August 19, 2008, 20:03:05 »
Hello all, I am about out of salt, and will need to purchase some in the near future. Just wondering which brand is getting the good results. I have always used IO so I have nothing to compare it to. God bless

Offline verper

Re: What is the salt of choice?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 20:30:53 »
You can't go wrong with IO based on price vs quality.  However, the Red Sea Coral Pro mixes up incredibly clean and clear.  I've alway had a brown film with IO.  RSCP also has many trace elements not found in synthetic salt according to the sales rep we spoke to at MACNA last year.  Downside is that it is more money.  North Dixie Reef just had the group buy that brought the price down to below $39 for a 175gal bucket.  Awesome price.   

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 20:50:11 »
I have heard great things about RSCP from a few people. I have read that Oceanic is from natural sea salt as well. Has anyone else heard anything good about Oceanic?

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 20:54:31 »
I don't use Oceanic merely b/c it burns my skin.  I figure that anything that burns my skin can't be good for anything alive.   ;D  It's kinda hard to make saltwater when I can't stick my hands in there.

I think IO is good if you're not heavily stocked with corals.  I had a hard time keeping my levels up with it.  I'm using RSCP now.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 20:58:53 »
WOW! I have never heard of IO burning someone's skin. Thats crazy. Do you have to dose anything with RSCP Nikki?

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 10:25:18 »
I believe it was the oceanic that was burning her skin as I read her post. I personally love the RSCP it has keep my water more clear than other salts including the two part salt not listed marine environment. I liked the marine environmentand its levels were great as well. maybe oldsaltybastard will chime in I believe he is still using it with much success. He also did some tests I believe. He works in the medical lab field so he has access to lab grade equipment and I believe he conducted his test that way if I remember correctly.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 12:01:51 »
Yes, I did mean that Oceanic burns my skin.  I'm fine with every other salt. 

I still have to dose 2-part solution with RSCP, but not nearly as much as with other brands, like IO.  I was also having a problem with a couple of my Monti's dying...and I searched everywhere for an answer.  The best answer I got on RC was that there may have been some key trace element missing from my salt (and I was using IO at the time) or that the corals were just using that trace element up too fast.