2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: diy reflector  (Read 5284 times)

Offline larrynews

diy reflector
« on: August 22, 2008, 10:14:16 »
upgrading to a larger tanks and i need to build a new reflector, what kind of material and where to get it...thanks in advance, its for 400w mh

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
Re: diy reflector
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 15:19:09 »
At one point there were blueprints for the lumenarcs on the CORA website, but I am not sure they are there anymore.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup

Midwest Express

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 17:02:53 »
Ask... and you shall receive!

http://www.reefdiversity.com/DIYPage/DIY_HTML/DIY_ReflectorIndex.htm

I will be building these over the weekend or next week sometime!

slandis3

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 17:20:11 »
IM not sure where you are located but there is a Menards in Tipp City ( real close to me  ;D ) They have the best prices on the solar tubes. Thats where i got mine. They are upstairs with the overflow windows.

Offline jake

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 21:06:38 »
I just went to lowes and got a small roll of roof flashing. Took a ling 2x4 and the edge of my bench and bendt it a few times. Was alot less than buying on and nearly as effective.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 16:54:24 »
well i spent my new years day making 3 new lumenarc mini reflectors.  It took more time then I figured that it would.  Probably almost 2 hours apiece.  well worth the savings though.  I found the mirror like finished alumunim sheets from a company here in Ohio.  cost was $40 a sheet.  now I just need to get sockets for them and fully decide if I want to swap out my t-5s for halides.  either way I have the reflectors.
Jeff

Offline yinyang

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 01:33:41 »
that looks great!!
jeff

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 02:48:04 »
That is fantastic! They look identical to the lumenarc reflectors

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 07:14:03 »
Very nice!

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 09:35:28 »
  so was it $40 in material for all 3 ?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 18:52:04 »
No it was a bit pricey but way cheaper then the store bought.  Each panel was a 24inx24in and was $39 and some change.  this made a 14inch square reflector.  Reefgeek.com has the sockets for about $6.  I have seen them for $115 a piece so this diy is cutting the costs in half.
Jeff

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 21:28:45 »
   that is what i thought you meant but wanted to make sure.
i got lucky and got 2 lumenbright's off of Ebay a while back for
$80 a piece. but i still need a couple more for frag tank and another
tank. where did u get the material? what about rivets as in what
kind or brand? did you just use a handheld bender ? which i have.   
i also have 2 sockets and cords i think.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 22:19:03 »
go to www.mcmaster.com and enter part # 8202k51.  It is some really nice material.  I used a band saw to cut it all out with and a sheet metal brake that we have at work to bend it up with.  I have the templet at work that I used if you would want to borrow it.  I just used ordanary aluminum rivits.  The longest bend that you have to do is 14 inches.  Most of the bends are much smaller. this is a good site for directions and plans.
http://www.reefdiversity.com/DIYPage/DIY_HTML/DIY_Reflector/DIY_Reflector_Drawings.htm
Jeff

Offline reefer79

• Fry
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 12:32:21 »
curious how did you print out the templet. Was there a stands size you could print out and then cut of on paper and lay it down on the metal and trace the shape then cut out the metal fromt he sheet and start bendning?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 17:43:02 »
I printed out the drawing from the site that I linked to above.  The drawing is alittle hard to read but it gives all the diminsions for the 14 inch version.  I just took them and drew them out on a piece of cardboard, cut that out and there was my template.  If anyone wants to borrow my template they are welcome to.  the most important part of it is getting it squared up.  I found that to be the easiest by making a perfect + on the pattern and then working from there with the measurements.
Jeff

Offline reefer79

• Fry
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 23:02:45 »
okay, as i was reading the website a while ago i thought he had it available that you could print the templet out from the computer and simply cut it out and lay it out on the sheet metal and cut.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 23:41:40 »
well i spent my new years day making 3 new lumenarc mini reflectors.  It took more time then I figured that it would.  Probably almost 2 hours apiece.  well worth the savings though.  I found the mirror like finished alumunim sheets from a company here in Ohio.  cost was $40 a sheet.  now I just need to get sockets for them and fully decide if I want to swap out my t-5s for halides.  either way I have the reflectors.
Jeff

Very nice job, Jeff!

Midwest Express

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 13:48:37 »
okay, as i was reading the website a while ago i thought he had it available that you could print the templet out from the computer and simply cut it out and lay it out on the sheet metal and cut.

The link I posted used to have the CAD files available for free to download.  You would just need a big enough printer.

Offline reefer79

• Fry
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 14:24:50 »
correct me if i'm worng but cant i use a 24"x48" sheet also?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 19:13:06 »
You could make 2 of the 14inch reflectors with that size of metal.
Jeff