2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Moving a 120 - Help??  (Read 4670 times)

Offline reefkeeper

• Juvenile
Moving a 120 - Help??
« on: February 19, 2009, 19:09:01 »
Hi all.  I am brand new and just purchased a 120 setup.  It has lots of LR, live sand, a few fish, but no corals.  I am moving it on Saturday and I think I have the process down, but I am still looking for advice from anyone who has moved some of these tanks.  I am intending to move some of the water in 5 gallon buckets and/or 30-50 gallon rubbermaid containers.  I know they are heavy when full, but I am hoping to put them in the SUV, then fill them.  I only need to pump the water about 20-30 feet to reach them.  I am planning to pump out the water using a Map pump.  I plan on wrapping the LR in saltwater soaked newspaper and/or putting them in the buckets.  I plan on putting the fish in a cooler, and the live sand in a separate bucket.

- Can 2 people lift a 120, or do I need 3-4?
- Does anyone have a bunch of 5 gallon buckets I can borrow?
- Where can I get an RO unit?  I need to prepare some new water to replace some of the gunky bottom water.  Obviously I need one for the long term as well.  What do you all recommend?
- Any other thoughts, issues, etc.?

Thanks -Jeff
Jeff
120g baby reef w/ 55g refug
Penn State & Steelers Fan

slandis3

Re: Moving a 120 - Help??
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 19:14:54 »
Yes 2 people can move a 120g tank safely.I have 1 good bucket if you need it your more than welcome to it. I also have about 50 gallons of ro/water if you need some just to get you buy. I our sponsors carry and sell ro water as well as ro/di unites.Im sure some more people will chime in on this

Offline lightningfront

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 19:16:22 »
2 people can lift a 120 empty.

If you can't find any 5 gallon buckets they sell them pretty cheap at home depot like 3-4 bucks a bucket.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 19:23:38 by lightningfront »
28 NanoCube CF Quad

My tank thread
http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=8341

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
  • 240 Gallon Tank with 125 refugium
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 19:20:11 »
I think Joel (Aquariums Ect.) is getting in some really nice RO units at a great price.  At least thats what I heard.  2 people should be able to lift it.  I just moved my 125 sump and 2 of us did it very easily.  I have about 6 buckets.  What are you using them for exactly.  Maybe something else would work better or just as well.  As far as thoughts go BE VERY PATIENT.  You can't rush nature and will actually get your self in trouble if you try.   Also make sure you get a good protein skimmer and filteration system (sump/refugium).  If you need some water I can make you up some water for the short term.  I'm not sure where you are. 
Dayton,Ohio

Offline verper

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 19:23:08 »
Hi Jeff and Welcome to Ohio Reef,

Yes, two strong people can move a empty 120

Other issues to look at:

Are you reusing the old sand?  If it has not been vacuumed or stirred on a regular basis, you may have a large ammonia spike when you reuse it.

Putting the rock in the saltwater and skip the newpaper.  That is to keep die off to a minimum.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 19:31:42 »
Depending where you live I can give you a hand with my truck.  I can put a 55 gallon drum in the back move the water that way.  I agree with Verper keep the live rock in saltwater.  Personally I would rinse the sand.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline reefkeeper

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 21:47:55 »
Hi everyone.  Thanks for all the ideas. 

Live Rock - I will keep it in the water.  Thanks.

Sand - I was intending on reusing both the refugium sand as well as the tank sand.  I was planning on pumping out most of the water, but leave a few inches, then stir the sand, then shovel it out with some sort of shovel.  Then, put it in one of the 5 gal buckets and cover with some clean saltwater.  Thoughts?

Water - I am hoping to bring back about 100 gallons of water in 2 45-gal tubs (filled to about 35 gallons each), 5 5-gallon buckets, and a couple of coolers for the fish.  Then, I was hoping to setup the tank with that water, and then go visit Joel in the afternoon and buy some R/O water to top things off.  I was there tonight and Nick was extremely helpful.  I bought a trash can tonight to use as a regular mixing tub.  Does anyone have a Mag pump connected to a garden hose fitting that I can borrow?  Of the extra pumps, etc. I purchased, I am not sure what actually works.  Any other thoughts?

I am in Bellbrook and the aquarium I am moving is by the Fairfield Mall.  If anyone is near to me, I could pick up some extra buckets or the Mag or whatever.  I am planning to start Sat about 8:30.  I've got my brother helping, but if anyone with experience wants to join us for some of the time, we would love the help and guidance.  I expect it will take all morning to tear it down, then all afternoon (and some of the evening) to get it set back up again.  Is that about right?  If anyone wants to contact me, please call my cell at 937-272-4259. Thanks -Jeff
Jeff

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 22:01:53 »
Saturday puts me out.  I am busy all weekend.  Sorry man.
Dayton,Ohio

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 06:46:32 »
Welcome to the club...everyone else has already answered you pretty well.  Sorry I can't volunteer...I'm not much help when it comes to heavy lifting.  :) 

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 07:37:24 »
Hey Jeff,

Since your relatively close to me, I have no problem loaning you buckets and rubbermaid containers if this will help. I suspect that it is going to take a while for your water to be clear and stable enough to put your fish back in, if you'd like you can bring the fish to my shop and keep them in our quarantine system until your tank is ready, ditto for the live rock. No need to rush and not get to do everything you wanted because you have to hurry to get the fish in (cleananing sand, getting water clear, etc..) Happy to help if I can. Justin will be at the shop tonight (Friday) and I'll be there Saturday.

Joel

Offline reefkeeper

• Juvenile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 10:34:51 »
Joel - That sounds like a great plan.  Thank you.  I appreciate the help.  I'll stop over this evening to borrow a few more buckets, and I will plan on bringing the LR and fish over Saturday afternoon.

How do you recommend I go about cleaning the sand?  What about the critters in the sand?

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 12:22:08 »
Hey Jeff,

Since your relatively close to me, I have no problem loaning you buckets and rubbermaid containers if this will help. I suspect that it is going to take a while for your water to be clear and stable enough to put your fish back in, if you'd like you can bring the fish to my shop and keep them in our quarantine system until your tank is ready, ditto for the live rock. No need to rush and not get to do everything you wanted because you have to hurry to get the fish in (cleananing sand, getting water clear, etc..) Happy to help if I can. Justin will be at the shop tonight (Friday) and I'll be there Saturday.

Joel

Wow what an offer. Take him up on that for sure. Set the tank up you want and incoporate all those little things you wish you would have done the firt time while there are no fish/rock. Good luck with your move, wish I could help but I have to work.

Joe

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 13:03:58 »
Joel - That sounds like a great plan.  Thank you.  I appreciate the help.  I'll stop over this evening to borrow a few more buckets, and I will plan on bringing the LR and fish over Saturday afternoon.

How do you recommend I go about cleaning the sand?  What about the critters in the sand?

Thanks,
Jeff

That is a question with many scenarios and answers. I think it is to large a subject to cover all the angles in this forum. Lets chat about it when you stop by and we'll go over the things to do and the things to watch for.

Offline mdcoblentz

• Juvenile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 09:08:36 »
I too will be moving my 72 bowfront into a 125 this summer and am curious to what suggestions are out there to do with the sand. I have a deep sandbed (6 inches) and am sure there are some dangerous gasses that would be released when stirred up. I plan on getting almost all livestock and live rock out before stirring anything up but is it going to be safe to use the same sand? or how would you go about "cleaning it" before putting it into the new tank? I've thought about it for awhile and am a bit worried about it.  So I'm anxious to hear suggestions along with reefkeeper
Inspired!!!