2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Homemade Nano Seahorse Tank  (Read 8429 times)

Blown76mav

Homemade Nano Seahorse Tank
« on: March 31, 2009, 18:08:34 »
So my daughter came to me the other day and said "Dad I'd like a Seahorse tank, can you build one?" 

Whats a father to do?  Well of course I can build one, but I want something unique, something that makes her friends go WOW!  So I look around at my scraps of acrylic and think yep I can build that.

So I spent my last day of vacation today planing, building and thinking of ways to improve this design.  Its almost finished just need to make a lid and watertest it.  Then its time for rock and water and wait for a cycle.

I didn't want to build a square, rectangle or hex, I wanted something a little different.  So I went with a Superman tank, I had seen one on a larger scale but figured it would be good for a Nano tank as well.  I also only wanted one seam so I had to reach into my bag of tricks.

So here it is pretty much step by step.

First I laid out the design to make sure my scraps would fit the size.  Then I cut out a cardboard template so I would know when my bends were close.  Then I marked the acrylic for where the bends needed to be.

Blown76mav

Re: Homemade Nano Seahorse Tank
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 18:16:17 »
Ok, now for the bends.  The first one is a 90* and already done (no picture sorry)  now its time to start on the small bend.  For this I use a heatgun with a digital readout, that way I know exactly what the temp is.  They say 375* is the ideal working temp but I like things to move a little quicker so I usually use between 950-1200 depending on the thickness.  The key here is to keep the heatgun moving so you don't overheat the acrylic and cause bubbles.  You also have to heat both sides, as you heat it the acrylic will rise and fall, when it starts to fall its time for the other side.  You keep doing this until you can bend it pretty easily.

Blown76mav

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 18:20:48 »
Ok, so the first two bends are the easiest.  Still have to check to see if they are correct, thats where the cardboard template comes in.  As you can see I've already started on the next bend.  The last bend is the trickest because you can't get a true 90* with a table in the way.  So I started the bend, then fliped the tank over and finished it off.

Blown76mav

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 18:25:27 »
Ok. Last installment for today. 

After I had it all bent up you should have noticed one side a little longer, this was planned.  I cut off the excess to make a perfect 90* at the back, its easier to cut some off then have to add it on later. ;D  I also peeled back the plastic just to check to make sure there were no bubbles, there weren't :laugh:  While I was at it I  made a overflow piece just in case I want to add a sump later on. (This is where the improvement part comes in)

So I brought home all the pieces and started glueing.  Now all I have to do is router off the excess, and make a lid to keep the cats out of the tank.

Hope this wasn't too boring for anyone.

Offline verper

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 18:29:34 »
Very Nice!  And informative too.  Every time I've bent acrylic, I get too rushed with the heat gun and get bubbles in the bend.  Great job.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 19:01:20 »
Wow...   :notworthy

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 19:22:51 »
ok, NOW you're showing off.  :) How did you cut the slots in the overflow?
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline hamiltro

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 19:29:13 »
wow thanks for all of the info. cant wait to see the end product
55 gal working on upgrading to 120 with a 55 Sump(unless I find a deal on a bigger tank)

Blown76mav

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 19:58:16 »
Thanks guys and gal ;)

I lied I do have more to share tonight, I had to run out for a few things and I figured why not stop by and router off the bottom its been a few hours....

Then I got thinking I can kill two birds with one stone.  I'll make the lid as well.  Since I use a router table, I just doublesided taped another piece of acrylic to the bottom and made a mirror image.  Then I used a rabbit bit to put a lip on the lid so it won't slide off.

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 19:59:59 »
 ;D

Blown76mav

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 20:01:37 »
How did you cut the slots in the overflow?

I used the table saw, if you look closely you'll see its really two pieces glued together.  I cut the slots first then thought hummmm I don't like the teeth sticking up.  So I cut it below the slots then flipped it over, then glued it.  Looks a like a lot of work but it was really simple.

Blown76mav

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 20:04:16 »
Very Nice!  And informative too. 

Thanks,

I didn't share all so people will have a reason to come to the meeting when I host it. ;D

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 20:13:45 »
You need to host NOW b/c I have a sump to build!!!

Blown76mav

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 20:18:13 »
You need to host NOW b/c I have a sump to build!!!

If you can stomach a day in Lima, come on up and I'll help you.  Kind of hard to transport the tablesaw, router table etc....

Bigmoo

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 20:38:04 »
I saw your big truck! If not my new business, Bigmoo's Aqua Transport Express is open ;D

Offline Rob

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 20:43:16 »
Thanks for detailing this build with pics.  Looks good so far, I can't wait to see it with the protective paper off of it.
Rob

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 08:19:03 »
Beautiful project.
You have given me one more reason to feel completely inadequate!
Or if nothing else another reason to insist on me buying more power toys (oops I meant tools).

Do you have any more details for what you are going to do with your setup?
Thanks and God Bless,
John

sederalr

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 13:10:16 »
very nice

Blown76mav

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 13:41:14 »
Beautiful project.
You have given me one more reason to feel completely inadequate!
Or if nothing else another reason to insist on me buying more power toys (oops I meant tools).

Do you have any more details for what you are going to do with your setup?

Thank you

No need to feel inadequate, come to the meeting I'm hosting and I'll show you first hand how to do this kind of stuff.

As far at the details of the nano tank nothing concrete on what my daughter wants.  As far as my 150g just gonna keep on reefing. ;D

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 10:18:26 »
Great thread! Cant wait to see it up and running.

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 13:15:20 »
Update!  Update!
We want Update!

Oh and Pictures.
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 20:04:22 »
you heard him... time to fill it up :D

Blown76mav

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 22:48:04 »
Like I have time to work on this?  Well funny thing you guys should ask because I did have time to work on it today for a little bit.  First problem I ran into was the powerhead wasn't going to fit behind the overflow unless I made some modifications.  Luckily I'm usually not afraid to make such mod's ;D  So I trimmed down the pieces that were too wide and cut a hole in the overflow for the return for the powerhead.

Blown76mav

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 22:52:06 »
Now that I cleared that hurdle I was also was able to fit a small heater behind the overflow as well, this way I can keep the tank free of clutter.  Even stuck a thermometer back there later on. ;D

Blown76mav

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 22:55:11 »
Next up was sand, live rock and some water from my tank.  I'm hoping for a very small cycle (if any) by using my water and live rock. The water has settled and is pretty clear though I don't have a picture  yet. Now its just sitting in front of my sump waiting for some life to be tossed in. ;)

Hope this keeps you satisfied for a few days. ;D