2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: water blockers???  (Read 1517 times)

Offline larrynews

water blockers???
« on: October 04, 2009, 18:09:29 »
not sure what they are called but they keep the water from going back to the sump when the pump is turned off anyone use them, what are they called and where do you get them

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
Re: water blockers???
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 18:10:54 »
check valves

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 18:19:34 »
I've not seen anything for the aquarium trade.   If you do find one, it's going to raise your head pressure and lower the flow into the tank.   All you need to do is to drill a small hole in your return line, just under the normal water level of the tank.  As the water starts to siphon back, the hole sucks air and will break the siphon.  You do need to check this hole occasionally to make sure nothing blocks it.

slandis3

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 18:43:39 »
If you have o run one spend the extra money and get this one http://www.aquariumpros.com/p-P12WYECKV,PFvu.html  when it fails you can take it apart and clean it. Most of the swing check valves are solid so you can not take them apart.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 18:59:53 »
I use wye check valves, these are reliable and do not restrict water flow like most do.

Pricey but worth it, they positivity stop reverse water flow when the pump is shut off.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 19:01:14 »
I just clicked the link on Mikes post, that is the one I was speaking of. Best one I have used.

Joel

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 19:07:41 »
There is a no cost no, no fail, no see solution I came up with that you may want to consider. I would be happy to do a DIY write up and share more information if you are interested. Here is a picture.

Before

After

slandis3

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 19:13:25 »
There is a no cost no, no fail, no see solution I came up with that you may want to consider. I would be happy to do a DIY write up and share more information if you are interested. Here is a picture.

Before

After

The only problem with that is it wont work on everyones tank.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 19:30:01 »

The only problem with that is it wont work on everyones tank.

slandis3

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 19:37:02 »
If i did that with my return pump I'm pretty sure i would blow the sand out of my tank.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 19:39:27 »
I use wye check valves, these are reliable and do not restrict water flow like most do.

Pricey but worth it, they positivity stop reverse water flow when the pump is shut off.

I'm with Lazylivin. No cost, simply drill a hole in the return. Or do what he did, but like stated, sand everywhere. Not cool.

I don't worry about over flows. When I lose power or shut off the system the siphon is broken, all I have to account for is the volume of water in the plumbing.

What do you sell these valves for anyways? I suppose they could be useful for someone who doesn't trust basic science.

slandis3

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 19:45:28 »
What do you sell these valves for anyways? I suppose they could be useful for someone who doesn't trust basic science.

What about someone who has a small sump and needs all the water it can hold? or a zero edge tank? Maybe someone has a custom tank with the returns hidden through the rock. This is where they drill the bottom and place the rock work over the returns. Not every one has the same old setup.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 20:10:17 »
What about someone who has a small sump and needs all the water it can hold? or a zero edge tank? Maybe someone has a custom tank with the returns hidden through the rock. This is where they drill the bottom and place the rock work over the returns. Not every one has the same old setup.

Good point! I can see these being very usefull in that situation.

I was just curious what "expensive" was. No harm intended.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 22:25:35 »
i want one because i have one of those switching water things on my return pump and when it switches sides, the overflow on the side not getting water empty's out and gurgles. sorry should have mentioned that.
what about this   http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=18092&cat=440&page=1
larry

slandis3

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 04:59:52 »
If that one gets dirt inside you cant take it apart you have to replace it. I would just get the wye type.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 07:40:55 »
Larry,

If your going to get a check valve, get a wye check. The flapper type are problematic. Most of them are not serviceable and minor amounts of debris can prevent them from functioning properly. They also restrict water flow, you having that "squid" already is causing water flow reduction as it is, you probably don't want more.

Putting a shut off valve / union on either side of a wye check valve is another tip I can offer, I like to remove the plunger out of the wye check monthly or so (very simple to do) to clean it and the seat where it rests and having the ability to shut off the water on either side makes this really easy.

Wye checks restrict water flow very little if at all because the plunger is pushed out of the way while the pump is running.  These are especially useful on systems with great lengths of plumbing where it can take extra time for the siphon brake to happen or on closed loops where the return line is down deep in the aquarium.

I've use several brands of check valves and these are the best I have found. If you decide to get one, call me, I might have one on hand you can try.
Joel