2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Diy Low cost controller  (Read 23337 times)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
Diy Low cost controller
« on: October 18, 2009, 22:37:46 »
Ok starting a thread will at least make me publicly committed to this project (I'm Lazy :laugh:).  I have been working on this for the last few weeks or so. 

A simple black box in your stand with:
a few plugs for inputs. Temp, orp, pH...
a few outputs, lights, ato whatever... No need to get complicated, normal timers work fine, are dependable, and cheap.
a 433MHz transmitter connected to a receiver "black box" that plugs into a PC
All the interfacing and displays, graphs, etc will be on PC.

Total cost goal is <$50.

so: inputs, output, graphs and displays on PC...Looking for other suggestions and features.

Also, Visual Basic is kicking my butt. I will be in LA for 2 weeks and have a few VB books to read, but help from anyone well versed would be nice :laugh:
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
Re: Diy Low cost controller
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 22:54:35 »
Wes, I've been waiting for you to announce this project!

I'm all for it.

Some thoughts, I would consider looking into AVR's uC. Granted I don't know much about PIC's as I've always preferred Atmel chips. There MEGA line as 6 ADC for your analog probes, supports regular ISP and USB reflashing using a bootloader, contains 8K onboard flash ROM and 1K RAM, their programmer (which I have one of) is only about $25 bucks. As I said a few days ago, they also program in C. Best of all the chips are about $3 and it should do almost everything you need, and I have some already!

http://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Microcontrollers-Microprocessors/Microcontrollers-MCU/_/N-6hpeg?P=1z0j299Z1z0y33r&Keyword=atmega8&FS=True

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc2486.pdf

Check out the atmega128 for more RAM/features are needed.

This may be a ways down to road but http://www.batchpcb.com/ is a great place for PCB's on the cheap. I've got access to EAGLE if you need layout work done.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 23:13:38 »
I have eagle and the equipment to flash PICs, but am fairly out of practice with both.  right now i am using a BasicStamp by Parralax for the uC prototyping.  They are easy to program in BASIC. But $60 each.

Soon as i get successful serial communication between PC and uC i will get some simple code layed out and port it over for uC.  If you have some free time when i get to that point outsourcing the AVR flashing to you would be great.

I know we have alot of folks in Technical jobs.  Does anyone have access to PCB fabrication equipment.  I can do it with Copy machine Toner, but would be great to get professional ones.

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 23:19:00 »
I forgot that the demo version of eagle does as much as it does  :) Autorouting, two sided, eurocard sized boards.

I'm more than happy to help just let me know what you need!
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 23:37:04 »
Also, BatchPCB is a $10 setup/shipping fee, then $2.50/sq. in. Which is great since most board houses charge you a $200-$500 tool fee!
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Reefd Up

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 10:12:58 »
You weirdo electrical guys!  :laugh:  Can't wait to see how this turns out!!

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 14:08:37 »
Plane rides always were good for thinking. I think I have the scope of this project laid out. Note: this will be all modular. The will be no increased cost for the options you don't need, simply don't buy the parts for all X amount of inputs/outputs if you don't need them. 

Options:
At least 3 analog input chanels for pH, orp, and temp w/ cal
Several digital inputs for ato, etc (ideas?)
Lots of outputs: lights, pumps, etc (does anyone use more than 15? How many do most controllers come with?)

Windows program to display the following for each channel:
I or O?
Name
On/off rule
Current status
Next time of on/off change (light cycle ect)
Ability to overide off/on
x min pump shutdown for feeding

I also plan on being able to: 
log data and display excel graphs pHvsTime
Display total time installed and total hours of use for pumps/bulbs (with reminders to replace) 

As I said this will be a little box in your stand with ports for I/o. It will communicate with windows via serial (plug or wireless [if you don't need wireless, don't buy the Transmitter <$ ] )

Was looking at makng this computer dependant (ie computer turns each thing on or off) but i MAY end up having the uC be able to run autonomous and just recieve request from the computer (when it's on)

The intent of this was for minimal hardware cost. I would venture to say alot of folks have an old pc laying around to run this dedicated without wireless, So that is my first thought. (No cost for input device or display like normal controllers) if we get into trying to replicate an entry level controler the cost savings probalby won't be worth it.  

Still want to shoot for a goal of <$50. Even less if you don't need wireless ect...

Incase you can't tell I am bored on the plane and we still have another hour untill we land at LAX

Thoughts, ideas, oversights, improvements?

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 14:12:14 »
Mac user :(

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 14:38:55 »
Too bad  :)  I really have no idea how that would even work. I'll do some googleing but I don't expect it to be remotely easy to do. How about you build the iPhone app for it  :laugh:

Offline wolfeden3

• I hate aptasia!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Juvenile
  • I LOVE ZOANTHIDS AND SOFTIES!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 14:52:41 »
hey Wes, I'm not good at coding but i do know how to use vb. We chatted alittle about that the other night in chat. but i do know a bit about vb so if you need any help hit me up!
lotsa luck,
Garry
:) 90g w/ 30g refuge 776w mh w/ pc attinic f/o tank
;) 46 bow front new diy sump 192w pc f/c tank
;) 10g frag tank marine-land reef capable led

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 14:57:24 »
Too bad  :)  I really have no idea how that would even work. I'll do some googleing but I don't expect it to be remotely easy to do. How about you build the iPhone app for it  :laugh:

I would love to, as I own a iPhone. But I hate code, I did it briefly in school. No thanks! I think Neptune has an iPhone app.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 14:59:55 »
I would love to, as I own a iPhone. But I hate code, I did it briefly in school. No thanks! I think Neptune has an iPhone app.

found this.http://www.itwriting.com/dotnetmac.php
not ideal.... You don't have an old win95 pc or something before you switched to the darkside?

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 15:36:24 »
Wes, I would shy away from using a PC to control everything...

Consider this

An old PC might have a 250W powersupply in it.

(250W * 24 hours/day * 30 Days/month) / 1000 = 180kW/hr at $0.12/kW/hr your controller would cost you $21 a month in electricity alone.

Granted I doubt the power supply draws the 250W all the time (another reason for me to get a kill-a-watt) but it is something to consider. A larger up-front cost would be well worth it in the long run.

Now that I've done the math, I turning me PC off every night  ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 15:38:28 by jd »
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Reefd Up

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 15:38:32 »
But don't most people leave their computers running 24/7 anyway?

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 15:41:19 »
A lot of people do, but using a dedicated PC makes more sense. Every time your home PC had to restart or crashed, your tank would shut down. I'm use everyone has had windows reboot itself after an update before, think of that happening at midnight... your controller wouldn't start until you logged back in
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 15:45:24 by jd »
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 15:52:13 »
found this.http://www.itwriting.com/dotnetmac.php
not ideal.... You don't have an old win95 pc or something before you switched to the darkside?

All my "Macs" are PC's :D

I could install XP on a separate partition, but if it needs to run all time it won't work for me. I do have an older Via MiniITX board laying around. I could build something with that. And they consume very little power.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 17:49:50 »
It won't be pulling NEAR what the power supply is rated at. That 250w would be HD spinup plus heavy computing +CDROM+video+ USB + some saftey factor. I don't know how much it would actually pull, but it would be a monitor in standby and a CPU almost in idle.

Anyone have a killawatt to find out what a idle computer draws?

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 17:55:00 »
A lot of people do, but using a dedicated PC makes more sense. Every time your home PC had to restart or crashed, your tank would shut down. I'm use everyone has had windows reboot itself after an update before, think of that happening at midnight... your controller wouldn't start until you logged back in

the tank wouldn't crash. It would just remain in the current state until it reconnects with the host. Ok looks like autonomous uC control will a goal after we get a prototype working.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 17:57:31 »
I do have an older Via MiniITX board laying around. I could build something with that. And they consume very little power.

exactly! That's the idea, use stuff we already have.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 19:53:00 »
Forgive me Wes, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

I think we need some kill-a-watts ;) I'mma go price'um
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 19:57:06 »
Forgive me Wes, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

I think we need some kill-a-watts ;) I'mma go price'um

If you find one, PM me. No one has one around here.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 20:04:51 »
I seen em at harbor frieght awhile back for around $20.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 20:07:21 »
www.newegg.com has them for $20 + $5.99 shipping
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Blown76mav

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 20:15:48 »
Mac user :(

+1  :'(

What if I can get a guy that is good at MAC programing would he be able to understand all this "Greek" and make some changes for it to work for us MAC guys?

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 20:21:55 »
If someone can program a MAC (whatever language they use?), Visual Basic is really easy to understand.  Im not doing anything revolutionary here.  Anyone with a few hours of playing with visual studio could make the GUI. We will just be sending/recieveing serial messages to a microcontroller.  We'll see how crazy this project gets...