2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: DIY Fish Food  (Read 8104 times)

Reefd Up

DIY Fish Food
« on: October 26, 2009, 17:10:57 »
I realized my angels don't particularly like being fed food meant for nano fish...so it was time to make them some larger-sized fish food!  

As some of you know, I feed pappone to my corals (mixture of shrimp, mussels, clams, oysters, sugar, and algae).  It's dosed with amino acids.

Anyway, I needed a similar recipe for the angelfish.

I started with some scallops, shrimp, and oysters.  The key is that they all need to be as fresh as possible!!

I then chopped them all into 1/4" pieces (still identifiable)

I then made small icecube-sized portions and froze them.

To make my coral food, I used the rest of the fresh seafood and placed it into a food processor and added Red, Brown, and Green Algae

I usually add in whatever other foods (like cyclopeeze, spectrum, etc) that I got on sale or free from raffles

You can add sugar, garlic, selcon, or many other additives

Everything goes into the processor for 5 min on, 2 min off, 5 min on, 2 min off, 5 min on

Then, I place a heaping spoonful into ziploc bags and flatten them out.  Makes it easy to tear off portions

Then FREEZE!  The recipe given below makes enough to feed all of my tanks for probably a couple of years (it always goes bad before I can use it all).

So, my recipe is as follows:

5 large shrimp, raw
1/4 lb scallops/mussels/clams or whichever is the freshest at the store (or all if available)
1/4 lb raw oysters
10g each of Red, Green, and Brown algae
1/2 tsp sugar
garlic
Whatever else I can add
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 17:14:23 by Reef'd Up »

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
Re: DIY Fish Food
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 20:07:17 »
Great write-up Nikki!

Have you seen positive results from your coral food? I'll have to go to the Asian-food-store and pick up some stuff.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 21:26:02 »
Stickied this one too!!

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 21:38:11 »
vary nice i will have to try that        it also made me vary hunger lol
SIZE DOES MATTER

Reefd Up

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 22:01:17 »
Yeah, my fish eat better than I do!

I've been using the Blu Coral Method now for about 2 years.  In my opinion, its one of the more "realistic" feeding scenarios.  I'll write more when I'm not trying to get to bed.  :)  Basically, it's lots of food...and lots of skimming with dosing amino acids and sugar (I don't dose the human growth hormone.) 

I get amazing colors...my corals are very bright (not pastel), and very fleshy.  I do not personally like corals that have that pastel, tight flesh look...makes me think they're starving.

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 07:20:17 »
Nicki - How much is one of the ziplock bags?  I should ask first if you are selling it.  ;D

Reefd Up

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 07:28:56 »
Nicki - How much is one of the ziplock bags?  I should ask first if you are selling it.  ;D

Hum...wasn't planning on it, but I do usually have to throw away about 3 bags since they just get freezer burn.  Let me figure up the cost and I'll let you know for sure.  They aren't cheap...seafood adds up quickly (I need to find one of those packs of just random seafood pieces...those are supposed to be cheaper.)

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 07:31:10 »
Sounds good.  Maybe you could make a second job(business) making and selling the food.  I hear the black market on fish food is good right now.  :)

Reefd Up

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 07:31:52 »
LOL...I couldn't stand the stench!!!  My whole house STILL smells like seafood.  Uggggggggh!!

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 07:33:21 »
I could only imagine.  I asked my wife if I could make my own and she said no b/c of the smell.  LOL

Reefd Up

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 07:41:11 »
I think cleaning the food processor was by far the worst (tied with cutting up the oysters into chunks).  The ground food is just a slimey mush.  It got on everything...and just was awful to clean.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 09:45:47 »
I think cleaning the food processor was by far the worst (tied with cutting up the oysters into chunks).  The ground food is just a slimey mush.  It got on everything...and just was awful to clean.

Alright, so Rod's Reef it is then. lol

Reefd Up

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 18:30:43 »
LOL!!  Yeah, it's not for the faint of heart (just look at the photo of the oysters!!)

If anyone is interested, I can probably spare 3 ziploc sandwich bags.  They cost $7 to make each, so $7.  (Total cost was $42 and made 6 bags...I'd rather sell 3 so it doesn't go bad.)  Please keep in mind, this is primarily coral food, but will feed smaller fish.  Larger fish will just get excited and then not see anything big enough to eat.  :) 

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 20:38:23 »
i will take a bag nikki
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline reefkeeper

• Juvenile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 21:14:57 »
Nikki - Awesome article!!  Luckily I don't have smellovision on my computer :-) 

I will take 1-2 bags (whatever you have left).  Thanks -Jeff
Jeff
120g baby reef w/ 55g refug
Penn State & Steelers Fan

Reefd Up

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 22:22:05 »
jjw has first priority if he still wants a bag.  One is promised to UD Justin, reefkeeper, you're next!  One at least!

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 22:52:37 »

My wife made me get my own blender for making food.

Reefd Up

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 22:55:18 »
LOL...good thing I'm the wifey & get to decide how my cooking utensils are used!

(Will used my vacuum as a shop vac to clean up wet dry-wall stuff...clogged it all up...he's banned from vacuuming...although he's probably happy about that.)

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 23:01:00 »
(Will used my vacuum as a shop vac to clean up wet dry-wall stuff...clogged it all up...he's banned from vacuuming...although he's probably happy about that.)

Thats all it takes to be banned from vacuuming? I'll be back, I've got a date with some wet-sawdust...
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Reefd Up

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 23:02:00 »
Hehehhehehehee...

Yeah, he tried to get himself banned from wedding-registry shopping.  Didn't go so well for him.

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 07:16:13 »
I do want a bag.  I hope to make it to the meeting but I can also pick it up just about any time.

Thanks Nicki

slandis3

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 07:29:24 »
Hey how about a group buy on fish food DIY style? We can use my garage as the place to make it so no worries about the smell. I have plenty of space. All we need is the equpiment and food.

Reefd Up

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 08:00:54 »
I've got a nice food processor...but it tends to really heat up quickly (even with the giant cooling fans on it.)  I can volunteer it.

Dorothy Lane usually carries the best seafood in the area, but the Meijer north of I-70 sometimes has decent seafood.  I don't know about the new fancy Kroger yet.

There is a wholesale seafood place down in Centerville that is open to the public...might be a good option.

Offline rayk

• Juvenile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 19:47:08 »
Any particular brand of Amino Acid better than another?  I can't seem to find the ZeoVit stuff, places I've check on-line are out or don't carry.  Brightwell Aquatics has some but not sure if it is in stock. 

Thanks,
- Rayk

Reefd Up

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 20:10:43 »
I honestly don't know.  I haven't seen any studies on the different types of amino acids.  In fact, there's not a lot of research in general on the effects of amino acids on corals...just something I personally do b/c I've seen great results (although it may be attributable to other things.)  I only purchased the ZeoVit aminos since they were pretty much the only ones available in the aquarium market when I purchased them.

As far as I'm aware, none of our sponsors carry ZeoVit products.  The nearest place I know of is Premium Aquatics (and they do sell the Zeo amino acids...but Zeo stuff is really pricey.)  www.premiumaquatics.com

Sorry I can't help more.