2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Algae Turf Scrubber  (Read 8950 times)

Offline METZCOOL

• Adult
Algae Turf Scrubber
« on: February 16, 2010, 09:29:24 »
Awhile back there was some threads about these and I have been doing some research and will be building an elevated sump unit. Here is a good thread on these for anyone interested in these, in my research I have discovered that these work very well when set up and cleaned regularly, unlike a lot of things in this hobby where it works for one person but not the other. If anybody has used one of these please share your experience.
http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic89570-4-1.aspx

Offline Joel

• Adult
Re: Algae Turf Scrubber
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 09:48:48 »
I built one around 1990 based on the writings of Dr. Walter Addey. I was limited on funds fab skills so much of it was rigged up but it still worked pretty good. With better lighting and better build skills It looked as if it had the potential to work really well. The type I built had a surge devise included with it that I had the most trouble with. The newer versions I have seen build didn't have this on some of them. May make it easier to build.

Offline METZCOOL

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 10:01:02 »
Joel,
Sounds like the surge thing was a issue on these like you said and they touch on that in this FAQ link:

Q: I've heard you have to "pulse" or "surge" the water to get best results.
A: This is not proven yet. Most scrubbers use a constant flow, and have great results. Thus it is not recommended to use a surge device. Plus they are noisy, and are just too difficult to build.

Forgot to add FAQ list and answers:http://www.algaescrubber.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 10:14:50 »
Looks interesting. Let us know how it works out for you. I could remove my refugium and make it a turf algae scrubber pretty easily.

Offline Vinnbelle1

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 10:29:27 »
I use algae scrubbers here at the store.  They are on a reverse light cycle from the rest of the tank.  I can't post whether I notice a difference in using them or not, because I have used them from the get go.  I basically suspended eggcrate from the PVC pipes, and then zip-tie plastic windows screening to them.  When they get too overloaded, I just replace the screen.  It is nice to have most of the hair algae grow in this location.  I harvest it to feed the clean up crew guys in my clean up crew section. 

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 10:58:57 »
That sounds like a really solid plan

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 14:56:10 »
good plan
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Rayman

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 16:06:20 »
very interesting, i can not stop reading about this, i may try it out myself.

Offline Vinnbelle1

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 16:19:34 »
You don't have to really get rid of your refugium.  You could have the turf scrubber built over your refugium, and have the water drain off the turf scrubber, down into your refugium.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 17:14:09 »
Its funny how things come and go in the hobby.  I read ALOT about turf scrubbers about a year ago, when i first heard of them them.  I wonder if 20 years in the future someone will re-discover this awesome "protien skimmer" thing.  :laugh:
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 19:50:50 »
You don't have to really get rid of your refugium.  You could have the turf scrubber built over your refugium, and have the water drain off the turf scrubber, down into your refugium.

That's an interesting idea.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 21:34:41 »
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 21:47:00 »
Does it have to come from the overflow? My refuge is currently fed by my return pump. Just seems the flow would too much from the return.

Offline METZCOOL

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 22:06:57 »
Gary,
You can tee off of your return and put in a valve to adjust flow to the scrubber and the water doesn't need to come from the overflow for it to work.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 09:00:49 »
 i never seen one up and running  just heard about themn
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 09:16:23 »
Gary,
You can tee off of your return and put in a valve to adjust flow to the scrubber and the water doesn't need to come from the overflow for it to work.

Guess I need to start engineering!! I have a spraybar in my fuge, but I could tee off it to an algae scrubber. Put a valve before the scrubber to slow its flow.

Any thoughts on what size PVC I should use to get enough flow through the scrubber?

The other option would be to run the scrubber off a MJ.

Offline METZCOOL

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 15:23:14 »
1" PVC is used and the size screen is determined by GPH feed and tank size as follows, let me know how yours goes if you try it and I will do the same.

The only thing you need to decide is how big your screen needs to be, and if you want it to be in a bucket or your sump. The basic rule is one square inch of screen for each gallon of tank water. A 5 gallon bucket (like a salt bucket) can hold a screen about 12 X 12 inches = 144 square inches = 144 gal tank; a 2 gallon bucket can hold about 7 X 7 inches = 49 gal tank; a one gallon bucket about 6 X 6 = 36 gal tank. Turf filters get really small as you can see. A 12 gal nano tank needs just 3 X 4 inches in a tupperware container! This small thing replaces the skimmer, refugium, phosphate removers, nitrate removers, carbon, filtersocks, and possibly even waterchanges (if the purpose of the waterchanges is to reduce nitrate and phosphate.) If your tank is bigger than a 144, then just start with a 5 gallon bucket size and see how it goes. You can always add a second one, or build a bigger one later.

How to build the bucket version: First, choose your pump size (or just try what pump you have; it won't hurt). For my example, about 350 gallons per hour was needed. Here is a guide based on the width of the screen (it does not matter how tall the screen is)...

Screen Width-----Gallons Per Hour (GPH)

2" 70
3" 105
4" 140
5" 175
6" 210
7" 245
8" 280
9" 315
10" 350
11" 385
12" 420
13" 455
14" 490
15" 525
16" 560
17" 595
18" 630
19" 665
20" 700

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 15:36:05 »
Have you read anything regarding the species of turf algae?  When I read into awhile back people reccomended buying screens already grown with red turf or somethng. This is the best species and is not normally exisiting in home aquaria. Also if you don't do your weekly harvesting the overgrown algea will die off and release everything back into the tank, possibly crashing. So there is still significant maintenace with the ATS. 

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 15:38:50 »
I also have a piece of 1/2" PVC with a perfect slot already cut in it and some screen (aquarium divider) all ready to go, just never ended up installing it. I'll sell it cheap if anyone really wants to give it a try

Offline METZCOOL

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 15:54:34 »
cyber,
I read that there was a company that was building these for awhile and was also trying to sell algae with them also at an additional cost because it was to be a better algae, I will let you figure that one out.

I did run across these two:

Q: What type of algae is best to grow?
A: You don't have much choice; algae will grow based on lighting, flow and nutrients, and will even change as your nitrates and phosphates drop. All algae consume nitrate and phosphate, so it really doesn't matter what type algae it is. What matters is how MUCH grows.

Q: How often do you clean it?
A: Once a week (7 days), no matter what. This is probably the biggest hassle with scrubbers, and when it is not followed, it's THE biggest reason why a scrubber is not working as good as it should. When the algae gets too thick on the screen, it blocks the light from getting to the bottom layers. Thus the bottom layers die, and they put nitrate and phosphate and cloudiness into the water. Weekly cleaning eliminates this. If your screen is smaller than it should be, or if your nutrients are very high in your tank, your screen might fill up and need cleaning in just a few days. This is ESPECIALLY true if the screen is growing dark, oil-like algae. This type of algae will never get thick because it blocks out all the light, so it must be cleaned as soon as it grows. After the nutrients in your water come down, the dark algae will grow less, and the green algae will grow more (dark algae is caused by very high nutrients.)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 15:58:46 »
That makes sense on the algae species  :laugh:

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
    • Real Job:  HunnyBuns Nursery & Reborn Supply
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 17:25:38 »
When I was cleaning my sump/refugium last week, I was thinking that with the overflow sheeting into the clean part of the sump where my pump and skimmer are, I almost had a turf scrubber starting. 

I wonder if I attached some of that plastic grid if I could get sort of the same effect.  I was fascinated with the concept and read long threads about it last year all over the Net by SantaMonica.
-Steph
--------------
What do you call an old reefer with no tank? 
:-(
-----------------------------

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 20:33:06 »
I think your really overstating what an algea scrubber will do for your tank... to say it will replace a skimmer and water changes is just crazy. I have no doubt that it benifits the tank greatly but it does not replace the need for a skimmer nor does it replace what water changes do. I just noticed you added the excerpt on the water changes if you were doing them to replace nitrate and phosphate removal.
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 20:40:53 »
I think it's cheap, less maintnece, and no chance of crashing your tank so I run a skimmer. I have always wanted a small one just becuase I love differnt forms of biodiveristy

Offline METZCOOL

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 20:51:33 »
Not my statement but from the link provided in first post, as with anything in this hobby different strokes for different folks and if the end result is the same then we and the hobby are all better in the end.
I have seen many TOTM on Reef Central that are skimmerless and some others that have stated minimal water changes.
I will choose to continue running my skimmer and supplement with this.