2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Underwater epoxy & superglue gel HELP!!  (Read 2255 times)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
Underwater epoxy & superglue gel HELP!!
« on: March 07, 2010, 12:43:12 »
I am seriuosly about 5 seconds from throwing a hammer through my tank!!! underwater expoy dough doesnt stick to anything!! i have always hated superglue gel. could never get it to "tack up" when both items were wet. so tying the expoy to build my rockwork and it sticks to NOTHING!!! I have broke about every hard coral i have.... what am i doing wrong these products just seem USELESS if both items are WET....

Its JB waterweld (its reefsafe and the MSDS is almost exactly the same as aquamend) and superglue gel....

I just had to walk away from the tank.... ARGGHH... and i still have to figure out some ATO before i fly out tomorrow ...!!>!>!!>!>!>!!>!>!>!>>!>!>!!!!>!>!>.>
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Underwater epoxy & superglue gel HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 13:04:55 »
Aquamend is the same. Wont stick wet. Aquamend is great for contouring to the surfaces. It wont stick by itself. Once it is molded to the correct shape by pushing it all the nooks and cranes let dry. Then add a little super glue gel between it and the surface will make a rock solid hold.

Offline reefman

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 13:06:18 »
Super Glue all the way!!

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 13:09:59 »
Aquamend is the same. Wont stick wet. Aquamend is great for contouring to the surfaces. It wont stick by itself. Once it is molded to the correct shape by pushing it all the nooks and cranes let dry. Then add a little super glue gel between it and the surface will make a rock solid hold.

Thats what  i am finding.  So stick some epoxy on the rocks, then how long does it take to dry?

What is the best way to get superglue gel to get tacky underwater? I cant make it stick to anything either. Is there a faster set superglue gel? so i dont have to hold the frag there for 90 seconds or so?

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 13:22:35 »
Wes,

Patients,   oh and use a lot of it.

For building rock, you need alot of epoxy.   If you can't prop the rocks together, the epoxy won't help.  Use the epoxy to make the rock stable, or to slightly adjust the angle.

If your trying to attach coral to rock, I take the coral and dry the base as much as I can,  Load it up with Gel, wait a minute.  Then quickly put it in place.  Once the gel hits the water, the surface will instantly cure, so you need enough gel that you can break the cured surface and have plenty to ooze out.   When you place the coral, you can't tip or lean or position it.....get it right the first time.  I practice once or twice to make sure I know which way its going.   Make sure your power heads are off, and usually you can let go in a minute.   Oh and don't hold the coral too tight, fingers are tough on the flesh of the coral.

If you don't have a natural nook for the coral base to sit in the rock.  Use epoxy, but you have to be quick here too.  Take a wad of epoxy and put it in position, then put superglue on the coral, then stick it in the epoxy.  Do be careful not to get too much epoxy up on the coral base, as curing epoxy is pretty tough on it.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 13:30:53 »
That is a great explanation Paul

Aquamend dries in about 5 minutes, almost to quick, have had it dry when I am still shaping it. I usually roll it into a log shape and then wrap it around the touch points of the two pieces of rock.
There are a few great super glue gels out there. Retail icegel and loctite. I purchase .010” gap fill in 20 gram tubes, 25 tubes per box lot from Parsons Adhesives. If you need some they are 6$ per tube.
http://www.parsonadhesives.com/parfix/cyanoacrylate-adhesives.htm

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 13:58:10 »
For my rock structures I purchased a masonry bit, cpvc pipe and a couple of zip ties.  My rock was wet when I done this but if you had dried base rock you could make some sweet structures.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 21:04:14 »
Wes,

Patients,   oh and use a lot of it.

For building rock, you need alot of epoxy.   If you can't prop the rocks together, the epoxy won't help.  Use the epoxy to make the rock stable, or to slightly adjust the angle.

If your trying to attach coral to rock, I take the coral and dry the base as much as I can,  Load it up with Gel, wait a minute.  Then quickly put it in place.  Once the gel hits the water, the surface will instantly cure, so you need enough gel that you can break the cured surface and have plenty to ooze out.   When you place the coral, you can't tip or lean or position it.....get it right the first time.  I practice once or twice to make sure I know which way its going.   Make sure your power heads are off, and usually you can let go in a minute.   Oh and don't hold the coral too tight, fingers are tough on the flesh of the coral.

If you don't have a natural nook for the coral base to sit in the rock.  Use epoxy, but you have to be quick here too.  Take a wad of epoxy and put it in position, then put superglue on the coral, then stick it in the epoxy.  Do be careful not to get too much epoxy up on the coral base, as curing epoxy is pretty tough on it.

great point   +1
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline reefman

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 21:24:27 »
+1

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 20:42:59 »
I have been using TLF epoxy to mount my corals and have not had a problem. They encrust right over it. +2 on the superglue.
Chromiumlux

Offline jeremyt

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 21:52:44 »
+3 on super glue!!!!!!

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 23:05:06 »
Use super glue gel
Chromiumlux

Offline reefman

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 23:06:48 »

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 01:20:48 »
Yea I had bought both but ended only using superglue. The expoy wasn't even hardend after several hours

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 08:16:04 »
superglue gell is great   the epoxy from marien saloyions works very well
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Vinnbelle1

• Fry
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 17:30:26 »
Mix the two part plumbers epoxy with super glue, and it cures really strong.  Also cures within a few seconds.  I used it to repair a huge piece out of an overflow with 4000g/hr pushing against it, and it held.