2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 280gal + history of my aquatic adventure  (Read 16845 times)

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
280gal + history of my aquatic adventure
« on: April 10, 2011, 09:10:50 »
Technically 330 if you want to add in the fuge and pipes, etc.
I will post pictures later tonight as I am at work while writing this article.

History:

Several years back a friend of mine gave me his 24g nano to use (why he thought i would be interested i have no idea as i never mentioned anything to him related towards fish since i have known him). But it was sitting around his house and he was doing nothing with it so he just showed up one day and said (and i remember the words exactly, "I had this laying around and i figured you could do something with it, the hobby is really fun".

It sat around my house for about a month and being a dumb first timer figured i would just jump into it without reading anything. Well, i knew a little from what i came across some websites online from time to time, salinity and water quality... But some was on-the-fly learning. I have had only 10 fish roughly die on me and 80% of that was because they didnt survive the drip acclimation, so it may have been overstressed fish or something... And the other 2-3 were because of age or aggression in the tank and one because of a tank cycle (learning experience).

After always dealing with rapid water parameter swings and bored with only having 3-4 small fish, and partially because while i was at Jacks getting some water conditioner, i saw they had a 55gal tank on sale for 80 bucks and came with all the mechanical equipment to get started (needless to say, i snagged that up), so i upgraded. I didnt have a stand for it at the time when i bought it so i just pushed together a couple end tables till i could find something that i liked and filled it up. Thats when i found out about the tanks water cycle (only had the 24g nano for about 5 months when i found this deal). Lost 1 fish because of that, luckily. About 6mo later i built a temp stand because i was just not happy with what was locally and some of the really nice ones were way over priced! Slap some trim on and charge an extra 300 for it, please...

A few years later, i started to feel bad for the fish. Granted Damsels have plenty of space in a 55g, but i was thinking, how would i like to live in something equivalent all my life like my house. I dont think that i would be happy with that at all. So i set out to find a solution to get a bigger tank. After scouring the net, craigslist and brand name sites and their over inflated price for used and new equipment, i came across an article about plywood tanks. So i researched and researched and researched them. Eventually, after reading several conflicting articles about what you should and shouldn't do, i went to Lowes and bought some 5layer plywood (3/4" thick).

Originally i was just going to build a 200gal tank and noticed that i would have a lot of wasted wood. So i calculated how "BIG" of a tank i could make without it being "WAY TOO BIG". Ended up building a 96"lx27"wx25"h (roughly 280 gallon). Could have been bigger, but my wife would have killed me as she was kind of already unhappy with the size :-Cry. I Gorilla glued the corners, fiberglass resins the corners and the whole inside of the tank, put 3 layers of paint for the color that i wanted (tropical blue, go figure) and applies a layer of silicon to the whole inside. I ordered a 1/2" thick piece of glass from Hemms Glass for around $180. Build a stand out of 2x6's, drilled the wholes for the plumbing and water tested it. One small leak (missed an air bubble in the silicon which ruptured with the weight of the water) so i fixed that. Stained it Ebony black just so that it didnt look horrible as this was my test tank. Was up and running for about 400 bucks not including the equipment.

So i bought the 7-800gph pump ( a little smaller than i like but it was about 100 bucks at the time) a couple power heads to make up for the lack of flow plus i could control the flow  around the tank better, bought some shop lights and put some T8 Daylight bulbs in it (Fish only tank), bought 600lbs of playground sand (silica free), 200lbs of liverock and let it all cycle for about a month and threw a Chromis in there. 4 Months later, i threw the rest of my fish in there. Oh and at the time, i had a skimmer also for both tanks, can’t forget that skimmer that is so greatly needed. After all said and done, my tank was consuming about 800-1000watts. A few more years later after testing different silicon’s, adhesives, learning the limits of the $20 sheets of 3/4" plywood, feeling confident that my fish are happy with the large amounts of room they have to swim, the well balance of my tank, etc. I started to focus on energy efficiency.

I got into what the skimmer does and why it's important, more efficient models as far as pump electrical consumption, air to water ratio, etc and stumbled across an ATS (Algae Turf Scrubber). Even though, with its bad rep in the past as a failure, mostly due to our lack of understanding, i decided to build a test rig and give it a try. I have never been happier. It is gravity fed, all the live rock, live sand and algae scrubber combined keep my tank well stabilized, and has been over the past 2-3 years. It's gravity fed and got rid of the skimmer, saving me 70-100 watts. Got rid of my filters, carbon, etc, saving me countless dollars every year. I know this is a sin to most people, but i only change my water every 4-6mo because it is so well maintained. I do dose chemicals as needed to keep things well balanced though, it seems to be cheaper as I’m not running a full on reef tank, yet.
Then really the only thing that was left is lighting. That’s when I discovered LEDs. SO I set out to build my own, build a couple test models to test out spread, intensity, par, etc (bought a PAR sensor for my multimeter). I’ll explain this some more when I get my light pictured posted. I got into LEDs also primarily because I was starting to get interested in wanting some “plant life”, but come to find out they are animals as well. But regardless, I wanted them, and I knew my light wasn’t enough. But it didn’t stop me from purchasing a couple low light corals for testing on how “intense” it needed to be to sustain life. I have only lost 1 coral out of about 15 or so and that was because a fish knocked it over and I didn’t notice it for a few days (going to school, working and family takes most of my time) and died from lack of light. I have more LEDs and optics on the way, so I’ll be building 3 more official units to cover the rest of my tank. Unfortunately I haven’t done a test yet to see how much my LED unit consumes with my kill-a-watt meter so I cant exactly specify how much in energy savings I will have over my other lighting ATM. But I’ll get to that soon.

But anyways, to keep a long story short, that brings me to today’s projects, rebuilding the 280 gallon DT for a finished product that I can truly feel confident and happy with. And the total price of the tank will cost me only a couple hundred more than the previous one because I bought Marine Plywood this time.

That’s all I have for now, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I’ll do my best to get the pictures posted within a couple days (I should have time tonight depending on how involved I get with building my tank).

Offline HUNGER

Re: 280gal + history of my aquatic adventure
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 11:10:24 »
cant wait to see some pics and welcome to the club
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 07:58:25 »
Sorry i didnt get time last night to post the pics. I'll get to it tonight. I was up till 11:30 working on the tank. It's all assembles and the bottom fiberglass resined. Hopefully it's dry enough with this humidity to be able to finish the other sides tonight so i can let it sit for the rest of the week curing. But here is what it lookes like without the resin.

Thats my dad in the picture. He wanted to help me build this, he just didnt know it at first  ;D

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 20:57:11 »
Looks like you are off to a good start. Can you share some pics of your current plywood build?

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 23:10:33 »
Most of the images can be found in my facebook album.

To save people a lot of time from downloading images if they dont have highspeed internet, here are the albums.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=67515&id=1415105139&l=1b89b5ff04
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=91116&id=1415105139&l=ce7def068f
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1415105139&aid=71014
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=55253&id=1415105139&l=177271ba62

Here is my first 24gal Nano Cube

Here is my 55gal on the end tables: The 2liter bottle is a microdebubbler, i wasnt happy with that skimmer at all, poor design or something, so i made my own parts to compensate for its lack of perfection.

Here is what happened to the end tables from the skimmer deciding to overflow by shooting massive amounts of water into the collection cup whenever it decided to and then the temp stand i built for it because i had decided that i was going to upgrade to the bigger ~300g tank sometime soon.

Here is the 300g tank built.

Here is my ATS (Algae Turf Scrubber). I couldnt find the full pic that i took of it so i'll have to take another and post it tomorrow.

Here are the LEDs that i made a couple Demo models of to test some things before i made a "production" model. I'll be building another one thats about 3" thick and has dimming control. Then this summer I'll be getting into using an Andruino for various things.

All LEDs are CREE XPG XPE Cool White and Royal blue.
The one on the left is my second demo(~350mA), its all ran by a single 12V PC power supply with a resistor and fuse since I'm not using a constant current device. All LEDs are 1up LEDs.
The one on the right is using a combination of 3up and 1up (triple LED on one star and single LED on one star)(~350mA).

here is the "production" model almost complete. Designed to hang but i havent found  a hanging unit that I'm exactly happy with yet. It's about 5" thick (~900mA).

Here is how bright the unit is. I got rid of the PC power supply and got a 48V power supply.

Here is a Panoramic i made of my tank a couple years back:

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 23:49:50 »
Love the panoramic shot and all the DIY work.
Do you have a airstones in your nano?

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 23:54:46 »
i had an air stick/wand. airstones seemed to clog.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 23:57:53 »
No problem with salt creep?

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 00:00:11 »
none on the outside, just a little on the acrylic that was covering the light, but not much worth concern over that i can remember.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 00:25:18 »
That's cool, sometimes it makes a mess. Thanks for sharing you other tanks and looking forward to seeing your new one coming together.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 08:09:48 »
wow looks great
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 09:07:07 »
Thanks, so far i have about 12-16hrs invested in just the box. Takes time to cut things "perfect" and make sure everything is squared up with wood. Things can twist, be a little bowed, etc, and you have to compensate for all of that. The tank should be ready to paint by the weekend. I have to finish resin coating the inside of the tank tonight, sand it all nice and smooth, etc. Hope you enjoyed the facebook pics as well.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 16:51:57 »
Just to give you a little update. I have applied the resin and its all sealed as of last night. I'm going to let it cook in the sun for the next couple days then sand it before i start painting.

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 18:00:52 »
Very cool tank build. Can't wait to see more pics.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 21:31:09 »
looks good
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 01:08:46 »
well i didnt get to work on the tank today because i was working on my LED unit so i figured i would show it off a bit. My grandpa bought a Mill machine a while back and I thought that i would put it to work. My unit is about 3.75" thick (a little thicker than i would like) but it contains everything inside (even the PSU) so there are no bulky power supplies laying on the ground taking up space (helps keep the wiring a little cleaner).

The hole i'm milling is where the PSU goes.

2 80mm fans (quiet and push a lot of air)

air hole ports on the right

weather permitting, i will get to finishing the tank. I do it outside because of fumes.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 02:00:31 »
That looks very professional Nice Work!

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 04:37:48 »
Thanks. If i were to use an external power source, i could knock off another inch maybe, maybe even more than that. I could prob get it to be around 1.5" thick which would be slick. 3.5 isnt bad for a second build. My first one was about 5-6!! because i wasnt sure how exactly i wanted to put all the components in at first. It turned out well but not as good as this one as you can see form the other pics i posted.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 10:17:09 »
thats some good work look very clean
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 13:28:02 »
thats some good work look very clean

+1  :-ThumbUpsm
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 10:22:06 »
Seems like today might be a good day to try to get some painting done on the tank before it gets all rainy tomorrow. Rest of this week seems to be pretty crappy so i'll have ot bring it under the porch and take the tarp off of it. I plan on having this done this weekend so i can get it up and running. The Resin has been drying for several days now so i feel confident that it is about as cured as it gets and i let the rain rinse it out yesterday. So tonight, after i get home and done with my daughters easter party, i'll commence operation "SandPainStainWithNoSleepTonight".

By then i should have my LED units done also.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 10:23:06 »
sorry, my LED units wont be done by then, maybe in a week

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 19:04:30 »
Ok, so today i got to sand it and clean it. I also recieved my 96 LEDs and 128 OPTICS for those and the ones that i have. Below are the pics of them.

The optics are actually brighter than the picture depicts. I will also be outside now Staining the tank :) pics will follow.

Wow, seeing the pic reminds me that i need to scrape my glass tonight as well... I think i might reduce the current going to the whites to give it a little more blue as it seems really white in there.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 19:59:31 »
here it is stained and painted. I have to get the trim for it yet so i'll be doing that tomorrow. then the next day i can finish by putting a clear coat on it. I'll be applying a second layer of paint inside. Currently the way you have been seeing the tank is that it's on its back

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 01:41:49 »
Making some good progress. How soon before it is ready for water test?