2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: DIY media reactor?  (Read 8787 times)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
DIY media reactor?
« on: February 12, 2010, 20:37:52 »
How bad would a group DIY on square reactors be? Just cut some square sponge around pvc downpipes

I need some reactors too  ;D  just been to lazy to go make them...man I'm Cheap!
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

DIY media reactor?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 20:41:37 »
that be cool
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
DIY media reactor?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 21:01:46 »
How bad would a group DIY on square reactors be? Just cut some square sponge around pvc downpipes

I need some reactors too  ;D  just been to lazy to go make them...man I'm Cheap!

Are you gonna get us some acrylic on Monday then? I sold my skimmer, gotta make a new one...
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline HUNGER

DIY media reactor?
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 21:14:53 »
wow u sold it  nice
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
DIY media reactor?
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 21:27:38 »
Are you gonna get us some acrylic on Monday then? I sold my skimmer, gotta make a new one...

Who got it? Thats cool, I might sell this one once i get it up an running and make sure it works correctly.

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
DIY media reactor?
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 21:41:27 »
Who got it? Thats cool, I might sell this one once i get it up an running and make sure it works correctly.

Creepranger wanted it. Its got a leak I've gotta fix still. I'm ready to make some media reactors, lets do this thing.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 21:58:00 by jd »
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
Re: DIY media reactor?
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 00:25:56 »
Creepranger wanted it. Its got a leak I've gotta fix still. I'm ready to make some media reactors, lets do this thing.

My son needs two for his tank. So get this thread going !!  :laugh:
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 00:51:24 »
My son needs two for his tank. So get this thread going !!  :laugh:

I'm going I'm going....  ;D
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 02:26:32 »
I'm going I'm going....  ;D

Gone...

You need...

4 x 2.5" by 10" 1/8" thick
2 x 3.6" by 3.75" 1/4" thick
1 x 2.5" by 2.75" 1/4" or 1/8" thick
1 x 2.25" by 2.5" 1/8" thick

8 thumbscrews
1 DIY gasket
2 CPVC barb fittings
2 DIY CPVC bulkheads
2 washers
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 10:13:14 »
You got a link? I need some more info in the diy gasket. Hmm has to be an easyer way to seal the top. Let me think about it

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 10:31:05 »
wow thats good work  i mite want  one lol
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 10:39:47 »
You got a link? I need some more info in the diy gasket. Hmm has to be an easyer way to seal the top. Let me think about it

No link, it drew that up last night. the gasket could just be a silicon mat cut to size. There are easier ways, but none that I can think of without custom machining.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline UDflyer00

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 10:51:53 »
That is looking pretty sweet... I was just flipping through the Dr Foster catalog looking at the reactors...  I was really wanting to start running some carbon...  Let me know if these come to be, I might be interested too!!
65 g AGA - Kettering

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 11:09:22 »
Just a thought u might want to put the down tube in the center of the reactor and then created a dispersion plate on the bottom of it so u will get a better dispearson of the water otherwise it may channel through the media... Just my thoughts
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 11:21:25 »
Just a thought u might want to put the down tube in the center of the reactor and then created a dispersion plate on the bottom of it so u will get a better dispearson of the water otherwise it may channel through the media... Just my thoughts

I planned on running the down tube in the middle, but without having the pvc at hand, I'm not sure how big they are and if they will fit. There is a dispersion plate at the bottem. I just didn't draw any holes on it because it takes forever :)
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 16:54:46 »
Here's my take on it.  Its a little simpler and probably cheaper (im lazy and cheap lol) Just a hole in a simple lid that is nearly the same size as pvc (doesnt need to be water tight).  Then a threaded barb in the side.  There not ganna be a ton of flow through these.  I just think makeing a water tight top with nylon screws is ganna be a nightmare

This is basicly the same exact design Mike used on the Diy Kalk reactors.  Simple and works

Where can we get large cell foam? I have a few chunks from my old aquaclear 75, but if we are making lots we'd need need a source.

I wasn't as bored as josh to draw it up in Sketchup.  :laugh: but i think the blue from the water contrasts nicely with the brown of the GFO tumbleing on a bed of foam :laugh:

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 20:07:05 »
looks like it would work
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 19:51:18 »
BOOM!

lilleigh

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 20:23:01 »
Vary cool! However, you have to consider the GFo tumbling out of the outlet. You need both of those dispersion plates and foam for a reason!

But cool regardless.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 20:27:00 »
Vary cool! However, you have to consider the GFo tumbling out of the outlet. You need both of those dispersion plates and foam for a reason!

But cool regardless.

Yea, i ran out of foam.  There will be some on top too.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2010, 21:11:53 »
Dumb question, Does carbon or GFO float?

I just did  a little test and all my carbon was floating.... If it floats why would we want to try and create an upflow in the reactor?  It makes sense if the media is sitting on a sponge and tumbleing like i have seen GFO, but if carbon floats and is going to stay against the top sponge, there is no need to upflow it...

Maybe my carbon just needs to sit in water for awhile and absorb water so it sinks?

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 21:23:53 »
The couple times I've ran carbon in a reactor almost all of it floated to the top sponge. 

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 21:24:47 »
do see y we couldnt
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 21:36:59 »
Looks good Wes! I just added some fresh carbon to the frag tank and some of it does float until it get saturated.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

lilleigh

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2010, 00:20:52 »
Dumb question, Does carbon or GFO float?

I just did  a little test and all my carbon was floating.... If it floats why would we want to try and create an upflow in the reactor?  It makes sense if the media is sitting on a sponge and tumbleing like i have seen GFO, but if carbon floats and is going to stay against the top sponge, there is no need to upflow it...

Maybe my carbon just needs to sit in water for awhile and absorb water so it sinks?

It floats at first, GFO sinks like, well a rust ancor hehe.