2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 47 Gallon shallow rimless cube  (Read 7691 times)

Offline jeremy

• Fry
47 Gallon shallow rimless cube
« on: January 10, 2012, 16:30:41 »
My christmas gift to myself this year was a 47 gallon shallow rimless cube custom built by Great Lakes Aquarium.  The tank is 30"x30"x12" with 3 sides Starphire glass and I blacked out the back with two layers of dark window film.

The sump is a 37 gallon 24"x18"x18" tank with a 9"x18"x9" DSB/fuge section in the middle.  The DSB will be deeper but I'm waiting on Premium Aquatics to get more "Rock Pool Bottom Crude".  The pill bottle looking things on the right are two float switches to be connected to the ATO System.

I re-purposed the DIY LED light from the 12g Nano and added some addition LEDs and included a mix of 60 and 80 degree optics.  It now has 9 Royal Blue Cree XP-E, 6 Cool White, 1 Red, and 5 420nm True Violet.  I need one more optic for a Cree XP-E, so if anyone has a 60 or 80 laying around I'd be happy to buy it off you.  Eventually I'll build something to hide this.

Current equipment list:
Sicce Syncra 3 return pump
200W Finnex titanium  & 300W Fluval E heaters
EcoTech Marine VorTech MP10ES  (This was DOA, called EcoTech's support and they shipped me a MP10ESW free. Will update on that once I get it.)

Currently there is 24lbs of Manado live rock from PA in the tank and another 10lbs of "Rock Rubble" in the Fuge.  I will be moving over approx 15lbs of "Nano Rock" from my current 12gal.

Lighting in this picture is in a dark room, with just 6 RB and 6 White LEDs on.

Lots to do including aquascaping, finishing up the Arduino based controller, ATO, fuge LEDs, etc....
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 15:34:50 by jeremy »

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: 47 Gallon shallow rimless cube
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 16:35:29 »
Very Cool, can't wait to see more...

God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 16:48:21 »
Nice! Something a little different from the norm!  :-ThumbUpsm

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 20:57:32 »
Very nice job. Where did you get the Southdown sand or have you had it a while?

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 22:00:57 »
looks great
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 23:04:33 »
Awesome!

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 06:27:41 »

Yeah , I was curious about that myself. Everyone is saying that they are no longer in business. 

Guess they were right!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:26:35 by Reefpete »

Offline jeremy

• Fry
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 09:19:31 »

I've had it for many years...it's just been chilling in the basement. IIRC I payed an exorbitant $6 a bag! :)

Offline jeremy

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 20:35:20 »
Got the replacement MP10 from EcoTech today. Its working great.

Did my first water test as well...

Calcium - 440
Free Ammonia - 0
Total Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - <.1 mg/l
Nitrate - 1.5mg/l
PH - 8.2
All - 3.5meq/l or 9.8dkH

Offline jeremy

• Fry
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 15:25:24 »
Finished the fuge lighting this weekend...3 red LED, 2 white, 1 blue.  Will be dimmed opposite the tank by the controller.  It's a bit ghetto, but it works.

Also got the aquascaping done...im 95% happy with it, and the tank inhabitants moved over.

One of these days I need to invest in a real camera.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 16:30:32 »
tank looks great
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline jeremy

• Fry
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 14:23:19 »
Got the par meter today and took some readings...which were quite amusing.  Not really sure how to interpret them, guess I'll just see how things go.

Also took some photos while messing with the settings on my point and shoot.

Also added a Super Reef Octopus 1000INT to the sump.  It's fairly quiet and after a week seems to pulling out the yuckies.

No more changes or additions planned until the frag swap...just going to let it ride for a bit and see what happens.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 15:40:37 »
Looks good
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 18:00:45 »
I really like the shallow tank.  your live rock set-up looks great.  Where did you get the rock from? 

Jeremy

Offline jeremy

• Fry
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 18:10:29 »
I really like the shallow tank.  your live rock set-up looks great.  Where did you get the rock from? 

Jeremy

Thanks!!  It's 24lbs of Monado and 14lbs of "Nano rock" both from Premium Aquatics. The really purple stuff is the nano rock that was in my 12gal prior to being moved over. The GSP rock came from Coral Ranch.

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 22:47:01 »
Great looking tank.

Offline jeremy

• Fry
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 21:19:03 »
Been a while since my last update and I've made several changes and additions.

Equipment added:
  APC Smart-UPS 3000va - Picked this up used for a song and replaced the batteries. Perfect for dealing with my frequent brownouts.
  Neptune Apex - I love/hate this thing!
  New DIY LED lights - 15 Cree Royal Blue,  4 Cree Warm White, 6 Cree Cool White, 11 True Violets, 1 Deep Red, 1 Cyan, 1 Green.  Currently running the Blues and Whites at 55% and the UV+colors at 35%.  All have 60 degree lenses on a 6x9 heatsink suspended 30" from the water's surface.

Issues:
  Low Alk/pH (2.5meq/l & 8.0ish) and high Calc (490).  I realize these aren't terrible, but I've been slowly dosing with 2 part minus the Calcium part to bring things back towards optimum.
  Temperature.  This tank bleeds heat.  I'm running 500w worth of heater for around 60 gal total water volume. Need to finish and maybe insulate the stand to see if that helps...which should also help with my last problem.
  The cat - continues to get into the sump and chew on the mangroves...which makes her sick.  You'd think she'd learn...

Some Pics:

New LEDs

Skimmer skimming

In the fuge

Rainbow bubbletip I picked up at the frag swap.  Was listed as 3"-5"...it's closer to 9" across.  Now to get my two black Percs to take up residence.

Some kind of Monty?

Rics

Red Pavona

Green Acro.  This is my favorite coral so far.  When I bought it, it was completely browned out and had zero polyp extension.

Current FTS.  Just fed the tank and the glass really needs to be cleaned.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 21:57:12 »
looken good
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 22:10:29 »
Love that green acro.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 22:49:55 »
"Some Kind of Monti" is sweet. When it gets bigger and ready to frag let me know I am interested.

Offline The WuSue

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 07:53:41 »
Very nice!

Offline itsalifestyle

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 15:12:40 »
looks great

Offline referinohio

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 12:18:24 »
Very nice. I can't get my Black Percs or my Ocelleris clowns to get in any of my Anenomes. :hmmmm:

Offline THE MAD REEFER

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, 11:49:15 »
how is the tank coming along?????

any new pics????

how did you get your green acro to go from brown to gree again, i just got a piece like you had started out with (being sick)

Offline jeremy

• Fry
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 22:33:46 »
It's kind of a mess right now, aesthetically that is.  Everything seems to be doing well.  No recent pics...I moved to Virginia a few months ago and haven't really had time to tweak things as I like.  Everything did well during the move, it was a 9 hour drive but about 22 hours total from start of tank breakdown to having everything back in the tank.  Moving a tank is a pain!

The interesting thing about that acro is that it browned out again shortly after taking the pic.  No change in water chemistry, lighting, or flow.  It's been brown with little to no polyp extension for a while now, I try it in a new position in the tank every month or so with no luck.  It's an aquacultured piece and I've read that it is a fairly common issue with them and that they eventually color up but not the same color they started.  I dunno, it's not pretty, but I don't think it's dying either, so I'll just give it time.  But to answer your question, I started it out at the front of the tank where the light was dimmest (I think my par values are in a pic in this thread somewhere), then slowly moved it more towards the center of the tank...a couple inches every couple of weeks.  No crazy stuff or dips or treatments or anything like that.

I'll try to get the tank cleaned up and post up some new pics in bit.

how is the tank coming along?????

any new pics????

how did you get your green acro to go from brown to gree again, i just got a piece like you had started out with (being sick)